Small children understand less about divorce and might not be able to communicate their fears as well as older children. The age a child is at when his or her parents divorce influences response and understanding. Here is a brief summary of what children comprehending the years before grade school and how parents can make the event less upsetting.
Babies can sense tension and may become petulant, anxious and have tantrums if it persists. Developmental delay or regressions might also occur in some cases. Maintain stability by:
- Sticking to a consistent schedule
- Doling out extra hugs, kisses and reassurances
- Providing access to security stuffies and favorite toys
- Asking trusted family and friends for help
- Getting lots of rest so you can be on your parenting game